In the early 1970s, Martin Guitar was commissioned to design an all-black lacquered D-35 for country star Johnny Cash. Though Martin had never considered such a request before, an all-black D-35 for the "Man in Black" was custom-made. Cash went on to play his custom D-35 on stage for the next 20 years. The DX Johnny Cash is a nod to the history between Cash and Martin Guitar.
Designed in collaboration with John Carter Cash and the Cash Foundation management team, the guitar features a classic Dreadnought body shape constructed with Jett black high-pressure laminate (HPL) top, back and sides. Like the earlier commemorative edition, this instrument includes a custom fingerboard inlaid with stars and the "CASH" logo. Johnny Cash's signature appears on the rosette and label. This model comes with Fishman MX electronics and a soft gig bag embroidered with the "CASH" logo and is strung with Martin's Authentic Acoustic Lifespan 2.0 strings. The DX Johnny Cash was designed to be an accessible and playable guitar for anyone looking to honor the legacy of the legendary musician.
- Series: Custom Artist
- Edition Size: Open
- Construction: Mortise & Tenon Neck Joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top Material: HPL
- Top Detail: Jett Black
- Rosette: Custom Ink
- Bracing Pattern: X Brace
- Brace Shape: Scalloped
- Brace Material: Sitka Spruce
- Brace Size: 5/16"
- Back Material: HPL
- Back Detail: Jett Black
- Side Material: HPL
- Side Detail: Jett Black
- Neck Material: Black Birch Laminate
- Neck Shape: Performing Artist
- Neck Taper: High-Performance Taper
- Plek: No
- Nut Material: Black Corian
- Headstock Shape: Solid with Standard Taper
- Headplate Material: HPL
- Headplate Logo Style: Silver Script Ink
- Heelcap: Black
- Fingerboard Material: FSCA Certified Richlite
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Neck Joins Body At: 14th Fret
- Number of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1 3/4"
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2 1/8"
- Fingerboard Inlay Material: White Plastic and Custom Ink
- Fingerboard Inlay Style: Inlaid Stars and CASH Custom Ink
- Side Dots: White
- Finish Neck: Hand Rubbed
- Bridge Material: FSCA Certified Richlite
- Bridge Style: Modern Belly - Drop in Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2 5/32"
- Saddle: Compensated Black Tusq
- Saddle Radius: 16"
- Tuning Machines: Chrome Enclosed Gear
- Recommended Strings: Authentic Acoustic Lifespan(R) 2.0 Light - 92/8 Phosphor Bronze MA540T
- Knob: Small
- Bridge Pin Material: Black Plastic
- Bridge Pin Dots: White Plastic
- Pickguard: Black
- Pickguard Inlay: None
- Case: Soft Gig Bag
- Label: Paper Label
- Electronics: Fishman MX
top of page
bottom of page